It's been a long four weeks since surgery, as we waited for diagnosis confirmation, sought additional opinions, and explored treatment options. World renowned experts at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and at the Brain Tumor Center at Duke University have reviewed our case and are in agreement. We are confident we know what we are dealing with, and we have a plan.
We are being treated at NIH (in Bethesda MD). It is a fantastic facility, and our neuro-oncologist is amazing. He provided an encouraging prognosis (contrary to what we read online about this particular type and grade of tumor). He explained that they have made tremendous advances in the past few years treating these tumors. He recommends 6 weeks of radiation coupled with chemotherapy. He believes we have an “overwhelmingly fantastic chance of killing most of the tumor cells and leaving the rest injured or dormant.” If for some reason the tumor is not responsive...they have other tricks up their sleeve (clinical trails are currently underway).
I had an MRI at NIH a couple weeks ago to make sure the neurosurgeon got as much of the tumor out surgically as possible (he did) and that I have healed nicely from the surgery. I have the chemo drug in hand, and have everything set for the radiation.
Thursday's the day. We are ready. It's go time.