Friday, November 16, 2018

Hope


Dear friends, 

This is an update I’d hoped I would never have to send.  Much has happened in the 23 months since Jim’s last post. After many years of his brain tumor being quietly stable, the grade III Anaplastic Astrocytoma originally diagnosed and treated nine years ago started growing again in the fall of 2016.  The past two years have brought multiple cancer recurrences, progression to stage IV Glioblastoma, and metastases in the brain and spine. We've moved through a series of treatments to slow the cancer growth: surgeries (2 more craniotomies and drainage of a subdural hematoma), clinical trial (TG02 + Temodar), high dose reirradiation, chemotherapies (Temodar and CCNU), Avastin infusion, steroids, and more.  I explained the litany of treatments and progressions to our daughters using the analogy of Voldemort in Harry Potter: Each time the Dark Lord surfaced, Harry and the team tried a new way to fight him back, but he kept reappearing stronger and with more followers. Sadly there will be no victorious “Battle of Hogwarts” in Jim’s cancer journey…at least not in the way we had hoped. Unfortunately, his most recent progression leaves us with no remaining good medical options to slow the cancer growth. We have shifted the goal of treatment to palliative care and earlier this week he enrolled in hospice. 

Jim remains as inspirational as ever, even in spite of some challenging symptoms. His aphasia makes it difficult to communicate—he can say a few words at a time but they aren’t always the words he means; he does not read or write. He has occasional confusion and memory difficulties. He has limited use of the right side of his body: he cannot see anything to the right of midline or use his right hand/arm, and his right leg is weak. He walks short distances with a cane, but can be unsteady so we walk with him (which he finds terribly irritating) to make sure he doesn’t fall. His pain is minimal most of the time, but he has begun to have intermittent periods of nausea that are quite unpleasant. He moves slowly and sleeps a large portion of the day.  We expect all of these symptoms to continue to gradually worsen as the disease progresses.

He DOES know who we all are, remember us, love us, smile, laugh, communicate (comically and effectively) with his expressions, and get annoyed when we make a fuss about him. He still enjoys the Notre Dame Irish, funny videos, silly socks, flags, holidays, fresh flowers, warm fires, and desserts made with apples. He still loves watching the snow fall, feeling sunshine on his face, seeing autumn leaves turn, driving around town, sitting next to me, seeing our girls happy, “grossing out” our youngest by kissing me in front of her, and so much more. He’s still Jim.

Hope has been a hallmark of Jim’s cancer journey. We have not given up hope—we’re doubling down. The focus has shifted, though, from hope for the effectiveness of the current treatment to hope for the abatement of symptoms, hope for quality time, hope for peace for Jim and for all of us who love him.  Most importantly, hope for a loving God and the promise of eternal life and a connection that remains always.

We hope to still have many weeks together, but we’ve learned to take each day as it comes.  One of the gifts of this diagnosis has been the reminder that life is unpredictable and precious and we need to live meaningfully and intentionally every single day. I know that Jim has touched so many of you. Please don’t wait until he is unable to understand you, or worse until his funeral, to reach out and express your love and appreciation. Let’s send him on overflowing with confidence that he made a difference in this world and lived well the call to love and serve.

Thank you for the love and support you have shown to Jim and to me and to our family these past nine years. Thank you for being with us now.

Much love,
Marcie

15 comments:

  1. All our love from Baltimore. Sad news, we'll be thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcie & Jim, I have watched from a distance the love that you share, the beautiful family you have, and the strong spirit you both radiate. Jim, I've never had the privilege of meeting you, but from Marcie's FB descriptions, you know what's important, and you live it with faith, with hope, with love. My thoughts and prayers are with you, for peace, for strength, for a superabundance of grace on the road ahead. May the Lord bless you and keep you, may He make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. May He look upon you with kindness and grant you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have both shown such strength and love through this entire journey. Your family is a blessing to all of us that get to be a small part of it. I know God will be a welcome comfort when your time here is over Jim and to you and the girls Marcie. Please know I have all of you in my prayers��
    Much love to you
    Amy (Kurtz) Sanders

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love and prayers of comfort sent to you all. I haven't seen Jim in a long time but I remember he always had a clever, witty comment to make and a big smile on his face. Marcie, your message of appreciating each day and each minute spent with those you love is powerful. Much love sent to Jim and you all. So many people will keep Jim and your family within their hearts. Anne Gluvna Arno

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim and I were cast mates in our high school play during our senior year. Jim had the lead role and he made the experience a great one with his sense of humor and kindness. Thank you for the powerful message and reminder that each day is a gift. I wish Jim, you, and your family blessings of peace and comfort. God bless you, Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven’t seen Jim since high school, but his smile is what sticks in my memory most. It think it was his super power— he was always lightning quick with it, and it seemed to compel all to smile in return. Hopefully he will continue to find ways and reasons to smile as he moves forward in this journey—- I know thoughts of him will always put a curve to my lips and remind me to live in this moment vs thinking of the next. Our best to you and all that know and love you, Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Marcie for sharing this update. Thank you Jim for taking us on this journey with you.

    I have been following Jim and your family through the years since we last caught up at one of our EC reunions (2008? Was that really ten years ago?!) I am grateful for the ups and downs he has shared with all of us. From all appearances it looks like life post-high school, minus the obvious, has been very fulfilling, exciting, and filled with love and joy.

    Jim was always one of the sharpest folks I knew in high school. It is a horrible irony that his body has attacked its own brain. But I know his heart and soul remain strong and his love for his family must be endless.

    Please let him know that I am moved deeply by your post and am sincerely sorry that you all are experiencing this. God bless you and an early happy Thanksgiving.

    -Mariah Hatta

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marcie, Please know that many people including me and my family are in your corner and are praying for healing and mercy. My mother has been battling a Grade IV GBM for 3.5 and has declined lately. Jim is and will continue to be an inspiration and the definition of courageous.

    Rob Zidek and Family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love and prayers of hope and peace to Jim, Marcie, and the girls from Omaha. Ken & Bridget and family

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great guy! Jim has always been a friend to everyone! He’s sweet, funny, quick-witted, smart and all-around wonderful person! The Class of ‘88 had many characters in the bunch, but Jim is one that I remember for his great character!
    I will keep Jim in my prayers, as well as your beautiful family. Your words are so powerful and I thank you for sharing this journey with all of us. May God hold Jim close and ease the pain. Much love,
    Kitty St. Marie Pinter

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great guy! Jim has always been a friend to everyone! He’s sweet, funny, quick-witted, smart and all-around wonderful person! The Class of ‘88 had many characters in the bunch, but Jim is one that I remember for his great character!
    I will keep Jim in my prayers, as well as your beautiful family. Your words are so powerful and I thank you for sharing this journey with all of us. May God hold Jim close and ease the pain. Much love,
    Kitty St. Marie Pinter

    ReplyDelete
  12. My heart hurts hearing this news.

    I am sending you strength and love.... But mostly hope.. It's what guides you thru the days and especially thru the nights.. That even though you are gone from each others sight.. That it will not be the last time that you look upon each others face. Enjoy the moments❤️

    With hope. ....
    Leslie Pinkerton ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jim, from the moment I met you at the teacher recruitment at CUA, I knew you were a special person and you needed Cheverly as much as Cheverly needed you. It was a match made in heaven! Watching Carrie grow and the family expand with your younger beauties gave this empty nester smiles on a regular basis. What an amazing and magnetic teacher you presented to us. I loved to stop outside your classroom to listen to your lessons and watch the "lightbulbs" go on over the heads of frequently disinterested adolescents. You spearheaded food drives, Hurricane and earthquake donations and bicycle collection. You impressed me by consistently living the life Jesus called all of us to live. Come Follow Me were not just a motto, but the model you, Marcie, and the ladies followed through out life. 10 years ago on Christmas morning my husband began his journey into the world of cancer. We knew he would only have a short time. I am so happy that you have had the time to love with your family and make the most of life. Marcie, you are one of a kind! I love you all and will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. With all my love, Barbara Liston

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jim,
    Your St.Joseph Grade School Family in South Bend, Indiana is praying for you and your entire family.
    Merryl Sherwood (Third Grade Teacher)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the update. Jim (aka Soup) was one of the first guys I met at UD and we remained friends and co-workers (and eventually neighbors) the whole 4 years. He is just an all around great guy. He is funny, kind and positive. Jim is one of a kind and although I have not seen him much since college, I have no doubt at all that he is an amazing father and husband. We worked together and he even made stuffing envelopes and data entry fun. Although it took years, he did finally convinced me that Ultimate Frisbee was cool too :-) I'm blessed to have had Jim as a friend and so glad our paths crossed. My wish for his family is to find peace and comfort and know that Jim is so important to so many near and far. Sending my love and positive thoughts - Sheila (Austin) Laverty

    ReplyDelete