Friday, November 30, 2018

Decline


Dear family and friends,

So many are praying and asking about Jim, so I wanted to send an update. Unfortunately, the disease seems to be progressing quickly at this point.

Jim has changed quite a bit in the last few weeks. Since Thanksgiving, he has gotten up briefly (in a wheelchair) a few times, but has spent most of his time in bed. He wakes periodically during the day, and may be awake for an hour or so if he has a special visitor, but he spends most of the day sleeping. He’s harder to wake now, less alert when he’s awake, and seems to have more trouble understanding. He enjoyed some homemade chicken noodle soup a few nights ago (thank you Jamie), but if he eats, which he doesn’t every day, it’s generally just a few bites of graham cracker or applesauce.  He is plagued with intermittent nausea and vomits at least once or twice a day but we’re still making medication adjustments in hopes of lessening that. He is having an even harder time communicating verbally so it’s difficult to know exactly when he has pain but we’re working hard to keep him comfortable. 

Based on all this, we expect that he is likely in his final week(s) and is unlikely to be here by Christmas.

It will come as no surprise to anyone who has been walking with him these past nine years that Jim has yet to complain, cry, yell, or pout in the face of this decline. At most, when I tell him it's time to take medicine (that tastes bad or is likely to make him throw up) he may scrunch up his face or grimace until I ask him to please open his mouth, at which time he acquiesces because for 27 years he has wanted nothing more than to make me happy.

Please continue to send greetings, memories, stories, admirations, photos, and funny videos. They mean the world to us and will be a treasure for the girls as a remembrance of their dad.

If you are inclined, please join the community prayer service Sunday 12/2 4:00 est  at St. Ambrose in Cheverly, or in spirit from wherever you are.

Blessings,
Marcie

5 comments:

  1. Marcie, my prayers and hugs are alway with you and Jim. I have prayed this time would not come and Jim would be with you for years more. But as we know Gods got the plan that is best. We just need to trust in him and I know you do. Love you all, Aunt Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcie - I wish I had something more than prayers, words, tears... i’m recalling that beaming pride on Jim’s face the first time you brought all 3 girls to meet us. He’s so adoring of you 4 beautiful women. What a gift, that love. I love you all and continue to hold you very close in my heart. ❤️ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcie, You probably don't remember me but I met you once at your Grandmother's funeral. Your Mother is a dear friend of mine whom I adore. She has always talked so much about her Children to me. She's kept me updated throughout your lives, accomplishments, births of children, adoptions and Illnesses. My heart breaks for what you and you family are going through. I am so very happy your Mom moved up there to be by your side, she has talked about that for years. I'm sure that is a hugh comfort to you. Please know that I am keeping you and your family in my prayers and pray for a peaceful transition to what God has planned... Sincerely, Terri Crouch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcie,
    I don’t know if you remember me, but I worked at St. Ambrose in 3rd grade and Pre-K from 2004-2007, until I moved to AZ. Jennifer Blaine, who currently works there, is my sister. She has been keeping me updated. Jim always had a smile on his face and was a pleasure to work with. Prayers and long distance hugs to your family. I remember watching you two with your sweet little girls.
    May God bless your family and give you strength and peace.
    Diane Haik

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcie,
    You probably don’t remember me, I worked at St. Ambrose from 2011-2013. I was pregnant when I worked there and had a son, Liam. Your husband was a very nice man who always had a smile on his face. My prayers go out to all of you.
    Lisa Rudis-Jones

    ReplyDelete